“I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual. It is surprising how contented one can be with nothing definite – only a sense of existence.” — Henry David Thoreau
Thoreau perfectly sums up how I feel about this time of year. While it’s nice to have a day to sit down and give thanks, I’m grateful for the blessings in my life every single day of the year.
1. I’m thankful that I get to be an aunt. It’s the best job in the entire world. I get to spend time with some wonderful kids and then send them home to their parents when I get bored/tired. Just keeping it real here.
2. I’m thankful that I have my health. Working in an environment like I do, I get nearly daily reminders that health is not to be taken for granted.
3. I’m thankful that I have some of the best friends one could find in a lifetime. They keep me grounded; they keep me laughing; and they keep me inspired. Today, two of them fed me BBQ’d turkey and from-scratch bacon stuffing. Delicious.
4. I’m thankful that this–the fourth year–has been the best, most productive year of my knee journey. I’m still seeing improvements, and that keeps me going to continue to find things that will help control pain and help me gain strength. I’m indebted to a number of people who have helped me on this journey, both from my personal life and from the healthcare side, and more thankful for them than most of them will ever know.
5. This year, as I was last Thanksgiving, I am thankful for Ryan Gosling. Who isn’t, really?
6. I’m also thankful for mashed potatoes (only the real kind, not the box kind), fro yo, cupcakes and old fashioned sugar cream pie (which I recently found out is Indiana’s state pie–who knew we’ve had an official state pie since 2009?).
7. I’m thankful for all the four-legged beasts in my life. I love that I get to spend time on the farm and breathe in the fresh air. On a related note, I’m thankful for any minute that I can spend outdoors. Even though it’s been in the 30s here, I’ve still been hiking at my favorite park. There’s nothing quite like gulping in fresh air, no matter how frigid it is.
There are many, many other things on my list, but I don’t need to write them all down here. Besides, if I did, I wouldn’t get this posted on Thanksgiving. #procrastinator